How do I place, suspend or cancel a hold?
Last Updated: Oct 09, 2023 Views: 2321
You will need your library card number and PIN to place a request. Already have a card but need a PIN?
- You may have up to 30 books and books on CD on hold.
- Reference books and certain other types of materials are not eligible for holds.
- You may have up to 10 downloadable items (ebooks and audiobooks) on hold.
- You can request eBooks and downloadable audiobooks through OverDrive.
- If a title you are looking for is not in our catalog, you may suggest it for purchase or request it through Interlibrary Loan.
To place a hold:
- Use BRiAN, our catalog, to search for a title.
- Choose the Place Hold button next to the title and format you want.
- If you are not logged in, you will be asked to log in with your card number and PIN.
- Select the location where you would like to pick up your book (if not an OverDrive title) or your email address (for an OverDrive title).
- Choose Place Hold.
- Wait for the confirmation and choose Close.
- You will receive an automated call or an email when your hold is ready to pick up at your library. For downloadable titles, you will receive an email.
If you need help placing a hold, call or visit your local library.
Suspending and canceling holds
You may suspend or cancel holds that have not been filled and are not yet in transit.
Suspending a hold deactivates a hold until a certain date that you choose. During this time, you will still move up in the queue, but will not receive your hold until it reactivates. This is useful if you know you're going to be out of town or do not want all your holds to come at once.
Canceling a hold removes the hold from your account altogether. If you replace a hold after canceling it, you will be put at the end of the queue.
To suspend or cancel a hold:
- Visit BRiAN, our catalog, and log in if needed.
- Under My Account on the left (top on mobile), choose Titles On Hold.
- In your Pending Holds list, choose Suspend Hold or Cancel Hold.
- If you are suspending your hold, select a date to reactivate it.
If you are canceling a hold, choose Confirm Cancel Hold in the dialog box .
If you need to cancel an Interlibrary Loan request, contact our ILL department.
If you need help suspending or canceling a hold, call or visit your local library.
AskWCPL is available
Mon-Fri: 9 AM - 5 PM
We are not available when libraries are closed for a holiday or inclement weather.