What are the policies for borrowing, renewing and returning?
Last Updated: May 22, 2023 Views: 208485
- You may check out materials from any WCPL location.
- Books and books on CD may be checked out for three weeks. You may check out up to 100.
- OverDrive eBooks & audiobooks may be checked out for one or two weeks. You may check out up to 10.
Wake County Public Libraries will attempt to renew your books for you automatically. Each night a process will run that will renew eligible items due that day.
An email or phone notice will be sent the next day to notify you of items that could not be renewed. The following rules apply:
- Books and books on CD may be renewed up to 2 times as long as there is no waiting list for them.
- Books from the Lucky Day collection cannot be renewed.
- OverDrive materials do not auto-renew, but can be requested again three days before the due date.
If you choose to opt-out of automatic renewal, here's how to renew manually:
- Online through our catalog
- By phone at 919-212-7930
- By calling your local library
If you need to renew an ILL item: Some ILL materials can be renewed. You can attempt to renew your item through our ILL request system or contact our ILL department.
If you need help, have questions about renewal, or would like to opt-out of automatic renewal, please call your local library directly.
Book returns at all locations are open for dropping off library materials. You do not need to make an appointment to return items. Please call the library you plan to visit for details. WCPL is late fee free; once library items are returned any associated replacement fees should clear from your library account.
Fines & fees
- WCPL does not charge late fees/overdue fines for books and materials returned after the due date.
- There are no overdue fines for OverDrive titles. They are returned automatically at the end of the loan period.
- If a book is lost or damaged, you are responsible for the replacement cost. We cannot accept replacement copies. For information about paying for lost or damaged items, visit: What do I do if my library book has been lost or damaged?
If you have any questions or need clarification, please call or visit your local library.
AskWCPL is available
Mon-Fri: 9 AM - 5 PM
We are not available when libraries are closed for a holiday or inclement weather.